Friday 17 August 2018

Pregnant again – Lost the Baby – D&C procedure - Partial Molar


The month of September 2017 was quite a hectic one. I had a trip to Brazil planned for 01/Nov, one of my best friend’s wedding to attend in Wollongong at the end of the month plus all the regular day by day routine with my toddler. At the middle of the month I realized I missed my period and went to the GP thinking I was too stressed and found out I was pregnant.

It was completely unplanned, but we got quite happy and started making all the plans, from my calculations I was going to have another June baby (June/18). And as it was my second baby I already started telling many people without worrying too much. On my first dating scan the doctor said that baby would either be too small or I even had a chance of being pregnant of twins, as my mom is a twins we didn’t think it was strange and the excitement continued to grow.

On a second dating scan, 1 week later I found out things were not as good. From there I was sent to the St. George Early Pregnancy Clinic which I had to come almost every second day, doing tests and ultrasounds, until they decided that I had to do a D&C as there was a very small chance that I had a partial molar pregnancy.

I went to my friend’s wedding on the weekend (had to break the news there as I could not drink as my surgery was booked Monday) and had my D&C on Monday morning at St. George Hospital. The whole system was amazing. I am very afraid of any procedure, but they made me calm and before I knew it was all over and by 5pm I was out of the hospital. My trip to Brazil was booked for Friday so I had 3 days to recover from the general anesthetics and I was completely fine to travel with my toddler ๐Ÿ˜Š.  While in Brazil I received an email from the Hospital that a biopsy was done on the fetus and I did have had a partial molar so I would have to monitor for 6 months to make sure any left over tissue would not keep growing inside me.

So what is a partial molar? From www.babycenter.com.au:

In most partial molar pregnancies, the fertilised egg has 23 chromosomes from the mother but a duplicated set from the father. This means there are a total of 69 chromosomes instead of the normal 46. This can happen when chromosomes from the sperm are copied or when two sperm fertilise the same egg.

In a partial molar pregnancy, a placenta will start to grow. This means an embryo does begin to develop. There may be a fetus, or some fetal tissue, or an amniotic sac. But even if there is a fetus, it is important to understand that it simply doesn't have the right genetic make-up to survive.

Doctors sometimes describe a molar pregnancy as a hydatidiform mole. Molar pregnancy is one of a group of conditions called gestational trophoblastic tumours. Although they are called tumours, they are usually not cancerous. They may spread beyond the uterus (womb), but can be cured.

Molar pregnancies are rare. About one in every 1,000 pregnancies in Australia is a molar pregnancy”


I am happy that at the end all was good and I had such a great support from my family, friends and the hospital staff. Now all I had to wait was 6 months of good hormone results ( until May/18) to be able to start trying to get pregnant again. So yes we waited and were careful… until I got the call from the hospital in March/18… but that will be for the next post ๐Ÿ˜‰

A MOM learning about loss after 30...




No comments:

Post a Comment