Saturday 23 July 2016

Which are the different kinds of formula? What to give to your baby?


As I had some issues breastfeeding I had to complement with formula while I was getting my milk supply back. (I used Motillium, Fernugreek, Oats and Brewer’s Yeast to do so.) I still need a bit of formula to top up but I am happy that I would say I am giving 80% breastmilk and 20% formula now, which before was almost 80% formula).

Because I needed to give the formula from the beginning I tried to learn more about it and here is what I learned from pharmacists, midwifes and nurses, still this is just an idea and a professional support should be the best way to go:

-        Regular Formulas – 100% lactose / 100% protein – It can be organic or not and most of older kids can adapt to it quite easily
-        Comfort Formulas – 50% lactose / 100% protein – If the baby is getting some mild gut reaction (Lactose intolerant kids that will grow out of it later).
-        Lactose Free Formula – 0% lactose / 100% protein – If the gut reaction is severe with: lots of wind, abdominal pain, explosive stools, vomiting, nausea, discomfort and it happens every feed (The ideal would be to some tests to see if the baby is really allergic to lactose and also see if there is family history of lactose allergies).
-        H.A. (Hypo Allergy) Formula – 100% lactose / 50% protein – If the baby has lots of constipation and colic. For me this is the most similar formula to breastmilk when considering the protein. At a Dr. Howard W Chilton’s seminar, I learn that breastmilk has 100% lactose but very little protein (less than 1 gram per 100ml) and that made me research further and I realized that cow’s milk, which the formulas are made with, have around 3.5 grams per 100ml. This way this formula would give my baby around 1.3grams of protein per 100ml, making it very similar to breastmilk and being ideal for little babies.
-         Formula can also be or not GOLD – Meaning that it has Omega 3, which breastmilk also has, they just don’t know if this Omega 3 is absorbed or not but I would say it wouldn’t hurt having it.

A pharmacist told me: “Formulas are like medicine you just need to find out the problem and see which formula would solve the issue” And I agree with her not one kind of formula is good for everyone. The good thing is that doesn’t matter which one you choose the rules in the nutrients in Australia are quite serious so you can be sure that you are giving the best thing, after breastmilk, for your baby.

I choose NAN Opti-pro– HA GOLD – And my baby is very happy with it, no more colic, no more constipation, but again I only give it to her when she need to top up. My milk is always going to be the BEST for her J

A very informed MUM after 30

Tip: Nestle has a CARELINE number that you can call and get advice: 1800 468 8736

#nanoptiprohagold #nan #nestle



No comments:

Post a Comment