Saturday 16 July 2016

My experience in the public hospital


After some research I decided to try the public hospital in Australia. If I was having the baby in Brazil it would be different as the public system doesn’t work well there, but in Australia it seemed to be the ideal choice for me. Firstly, because all the services were free but also because I heard amazing feedback about their services, specially about the Royal Hospital for Woman in Randwick where I had my baby.

The antenatal that I had was with a GP shared care which meant that I went to the hospital every second consultation and at the end as I had some back and SI joint pain, I was going once a week for Pilates/physio class which helped my pain a lot.

Before you have the baby you can have a hospital tour and I would highly recommend it, so you can feel at home when the time comes and know all you need to take or not on the day.
On my special day I stayed during 8 hours at the delivery room which was very well equipped with all the medical needs but also with Pilates ball, bathtub, floor mats, chair for my support person and lots of space for me to move around.

After I had the baby I went to the rooms where firstly had a double room for a couple of hours, but as I applied as private patient on the public hospital ( using my private insurance) I was transferred to a private room. The only difference was the space, the privacy and also the fact that my husband could spend the night with me which for me, being a first time mom, was essential.

The midwifes at the hospital were great, always supportive and checking if I and my baby were doing well. Also the staff in the hospital in general were always very polite. About the food, which everyone asks, I can say that is not that bad, yes it had little salt but you can put more and the variety was also ok. I was going to spend only some days there so I didn’t worry, just ate what they served and in the end became friends with the kitchen people that would save me some apples and bananas (as some foods were limited). The tip is to be nice to everyone, a smile goes a long way.

Another great service they have is the breastfeeding class and lactation consultant while you are at the hospital, they have a room with comfy chairs where moms would meet to feed their babies from the first day. This way everyone could see how hard it was together and not give up, which I didn’t yet but I would need a whole post about that later.

I can’t fault any service or people at the hospital, it was for sure an amazing experience and I will be for sure going back for seconds ;)

A happy Mom after 30

#momafter30 #royalhospitalforwoman #rhw





No comments:

Post a Comment